Through the Flower is Hiring!If you are interested in being an integral part of our small, but mighty team here at Through the Flower and your experience and background aligns with our needs, please submit your resume together with a cover letter detailing your interest in the position and a summary of your skills and accomplishments to the email below.
Application Deadline is June 1st!
Art Space Director and Outreach Director
Position Available: Through the Flower seeks a dynamic, self-starting individual who is passionate about advancing its mission and agenda, to lead as Art Space and Outreach Director. This is a part-time permanent position to work 24 hours per week Wednesday to Saturday; or such other times as may be agreed.
Summary of Responsibilities: The Art Space and Outreach Director will work closely with and report to the Executive Director of Through the Flower. The Art Space and Outreach Director will be responsible for all the day-to-day management of the Art Space including developing programming, supervising staff/volunteers, overseeing the shop sales, educational outreach, and social media development.
Primary areas of responsibility include:
- Strategic Planning & Program Development - Developing and implementing programs with responsibility for the successful day-to-day operations of a not-for-profit gallery and educational center. Planning and developing a new strategy for growth and development of the Art Space including the safe re-opening of the Art Space following closure due to Covid-19. Direct all aspects of the Art Space operations including programming, revenue generation, budgeting, marketing, fundraising, and audience growth.
- Staff Management – Motivating, supervising, and training gallery staff including docents, volunteers, and sales staff, and maintaining appropriate staffing levels.
- PR and Communication – Creating and maintaining a favorable public image for Through the Flower including developing and implementing social media strategy.
- Shop Sales – Maintaining appropriate levels of merchandise and developing and expanding online sales strategies.
- Community and Educational Outreach – Building strong relationships with the global, regional, and local community through educational programming and outreach; developing a strategy to sustain and build attendance levels.
- Self-initiated management and entrepreneurial work style
- Attention to detail, strong organizational and time management skills and ability to perform non-routine work with changing priorities and ability to meet tight deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work collaboratively including recruiting volunteers and training docents
- Outstanding written, oral, and communication skills
- Experience interacting with the public in an engaging and personable manner
- Experience with audience-building and outreach/educational programs
- Experience planning events for and interacting with all levels of community members, from children to adults, on a level that engages the visiting audience
- Knowledge of art history and women’s history and the ability to contextualize Judy Chicago’s artworks and contributions within that context
- Social media savvy, with the ability to utilize such platforms as Instagram, et al., to build public awareness of Through the Flower activities
- Ability to utilize WordPress and Constant Contact website and email platforms on a level high enough to update those systems and use them to communicate regularly with online audiences as well as familiarity with Microsoft Office suite
- Must be available to work during the Art Space opening hours Thursday through Saturday of each week plus one further day per week as well as additional hours as may be required for planned fund-raising and programming events
Compensation and Benefits: $18,720 for a 24 hour workweek (based on a pro-rata full-time salary of $31,200) to be reviewed after six months; includes three days paid vacation plus public holidays and up to three paid sick days per year. Contribution to health insurance (up to 50% of personal health insurance plan). Salary and benefits to be adjusted annually based on performance metrics being met as outlined in the detailed job description.
Start Date: Immediate
Procedure for Applying: Qualified candidates should e-mail a current detailed resume, together with a cover letter indicating interest in the position and a summary of skills and accomplishments to email@example.com no later than June 1, 2020; please note in the subject line “Art Space Director”
Through the Flower is an Equal Opportunity Employer.